KORONAVIRUS: otázky a odpovědi: PREVENCE (EN)
1. How can I avoid getting infected?
When visiting China: Při návštěvě Číny:
- avoid contact with sick people, in particular those with a cough;
- avoid visiting markets and places where live or dead animals are handled;
- general rules governing hand hygiene and food hygiene apply;
- wash your hands with soap and water OR use an alcohol-based disinfectant solution before eating, after using the toilet and after any contact with animals;
- avoid contact with animals, their excretions or droppings.
Wherever you travel, apply general rules governing hand and food hygiene.
2. What should I do if I have had close contact with someone who has 2019-nCoV?
Monitor yourself from the time that you had contact with that person and if you develop any symptoms, call your healthcare provider for advice, mentioning that you were in China.
More information is available in the guidance:
3. What are the rules for infection/hand washing?
Hand washing and disinfection is the key to preventing infection. You should wash your hands often and thoroughly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, you can also use alcohol-based hand sanitiser with at least 60% alcohol. The virus enters your body via your eyes, nose and mouth, so avoid touching them with unwashed hands.
4. Are face masks effective in protecting against 2019-nCoV?
Face masks help prevent further spread of infection from those who are sick to others around them., Face masks do not seem to be as effective in protecting those who are not infected.
5. Is there a vaccine against 2019-nCov?
There are currently no vaccines against coronaviruses, including 2019-nCoV. That is why it is very important to prevent infection or contain further spread after an infection.
6. Am I protected against 2019-nCoV if I had the influenza vaccine this year?
Influenza and 2019-nCoV are two very different viruses and the seasonal influenza vaccine would not protect against disease caused by 2019-nCoV.
However, as the European influenza season is still underway, the influenza vaccine is the best available protection against seasonal influenza and it is not too late to get vaccinated.